Talk about an easy sandwich to make that will always look pretty and taste delicious!
8 (1/2 inch thick) eggplant slices
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 large red bell pepper
4 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
2 tablespoons, refrigerated pesto
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup baby arugula
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup (2 ounces) soft goat cheese* (optional ingredient you may skip to reduce calories or allergens)
1. Preheat broiler
2. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of eggplant with 1 teaspoon canola oil.
3. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard insides. Arrange bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on baking sheet with eggplant; flatten with hands.
4. Broil four minutes; turn eggplant over (do not turn bell pepper over). Broil an additional four minutes; remove eggplant from pan. Broil bell pepper an additional seven minutes or until blackened.
5. *Place bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes; peel and discard skin.
6. Broil bread slices for two minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
7. Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on each of two bread slices
8. Layer each bread slice, pesto side up, with two eggplant slices, one bell pepper half and two eggplant slices.
9. Toss arugula with 1 teaspoon olive oil and black pepper; divide evenly between sandwiches.
10. *Spread 2 tablespoons goat cheese over each of the two remaining bread slices.
11. Place slice of bread, cheese side down, on sandwiches.
*optional step or ingredient you may skip to either prepare meal faster, reduce calories from fat or reduce allergens.
Makes: two servings (serving size is one sandwich)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Per serving: Calories 395, Fat 20.4g, Carbohydrates 43.1g, Fiber 6.7g, Protein 14g CHOL 18mg
Adapted by Wendy Caamano from Cooking Light. October 2009 issue.